Sunday, January 24, 2010

Steelhead Season 2009 - Week 17

So the fish Gods turn their heads to my neck of the woods this weekend, and FINALLY open up some water for a brief period of time…allowing us crazy fishermen an opportunity to throw on the dusty waders, and try throwing the creations we’ve spent too many hours on over the last few weeks…


And where was I? That’s right; at home working on the house…I’ll admit it…

Friday and Saturday were the days. With flows just about perfect, warmer temps, and some open water, the fish were there for the taking. Despite my lack of water time, I was able to catch up with the crowd of diehard’s on their stories…

Fish were deep within the systems, though many were darker and most were drop backs. Rumor was that despite the ice jams in many of the lower rivers, some fresh fish were making their way into the rivers. I’m sure that once the congestion clears up, there should be a good wave…

Fish were taking the normal eggs/nymph selection, though a few swinging guys were getting some grabs and landing some fish.

Tonight (Sunday), we’ve gotten a half inch of rain, and should have another half inch by morning. Rivers should be clearing just in time for another cold snap. We’ll see if the rivers hold on long enough to get fished or just start their icing retreat again…Hopefully I’m not left with paint on my hand again the next time they fish…

Since we have no pics, we’ll leave you with one of my favorite steelhead vids from the guys at Flies & Fins...enjoy…

No comments: