Monday, May 25, 2009

Good Signs...

Well I think we’ve finally started to see the switch from “Spring Mode” to “Summer Mode”.

Tuesday evening was Ava and Conklin at the upper pond. Water was still cold to the touch. I ended up with 2 smaller bass, but that was about it. Not many fish were moving, but with temps in the mid 60’s, we weren’t expecting much…

With Amy in town, I didn’t get much fishing in over the weekend…

However, with Amy’s departure, I decided to take the ‘yak out and go check out one of the lake. It seems like every year there is a new tree down, or new holding area. With only a few hours, and the desire to just kind of relax, I grabbed the 3 weight and threw on a larger gill popper with the expectation of just exploring and getting a few fish to keep me occupied. Sure enough I hooked into probably 4-5 bass over 3 lbs, and landed only one of them. Frustrating to say the least. I spent each fish trying to figure out how I lost the last, and I think that just simply having a smaller hook allowed the bigger fish enough room to shake it out. It seemed like all the big fish were able to drop me with head shakes or jumps…

I ended the day with about 5-6 bass, about 1 gills, 2 rock bass, and a crappie. Really not bad for a few hours. Weather was gorgeous, and all fish came on poppers! I did manage to see some of the most interesting bass behavior I’ve ever experienced…

First, the bass fry have hatched, so you can see the swarms of them in the shallow water. The smaller gills seem to key in on them, and are surrounding the small school of fry, however as soon as a gill makes a break for a small bass, a big bass comes up out of no where and spooks the gills. I saw this maybe 4-5 times today with different fish in different areas. At one point, a bass beached a gill and himself on the shore for a moment by doing this. It was all really neat to see…

Anyways, no pictures for the week…all fishing which isn’t a bad thing…

No comments: