Sunday, March 15, 2009

Steelheading: Week #23

Well the Spring is really trying to show herself here in Northeastern Ohio...

This was an Amy visit weekend (I’m typing this as I’m rehydrating)…

So Friday afternoon was full of angst. Weather was gorgeous, and Amy was in at 8…meaning that I had a few good hours to clean, and tidy up the house so I wasn’t in the dog house too badly with her…

Too bad the idea of slinging shad patterns to largemouth got in my head about lunch time. I shot a quick note to Conklin, and the time/place was set. With the rivers just above fishable levels, and only about an hour to fish, we were stuck with only one fishing option.

With little expectations, we started on opposite ends of the North shore, and within the first half hour, we’d managed to bag our first fish of the year. Amazing considering we hadn’t gotten our first last year until April. Friday the 13th wasn’t all that unlucky to us in search of linesiders…

Conklin ended up with 2 fish, and I the one, but man was it therapeutic to get the beginnings of bass thumb. Both of his were taken on slowly stripped buggers, while mine took a double bunny, olive and white. We called it in time for me to pick up the lovely wife…saw A LOT more fish though, as many spooked with false casts…

Evening on our glass-like pond

Fast forward to Sunday afternoon when I had to drop her off. I packed the waders and streamers, with the hopes of bagging a steelie this evening as well. Didn’t end up being as lucky as Friday (got about 45 minutes on the water), but I did see a shit ton of fish moving. This upcoming weekend will be the best of the year, with minimal precipitation mid week, and water levels/temps being conducive to our chrome friends. I ended up seeing 10 or so fish spook in m meandering along the banks, with about 5 of them being fresh. Game on boys and girls…bring on the WAR fishing!

Hopefully some mid week trips will bring some fish to hand...

No comments: