Sunday, November 30, 2008

Weekly Update (Non-Steelhead)...

THANKSGIVING!!! The time of year where leftovers invade the refrigerator and smelly aunt’s give you the best lipstick coating that they can muster up…

After 8 ½ hours back to CT on Thursday, we were in line for a great feast…after getting to bed around 2:30 AM, I managed to get up and try a new spot along a smaller river back in CT…

Considering time wasn’t on my side, and I was wader-less, the trip yielded nothing more then a sight seeing tour through some old familiar back roads, but with a warm cup of coffee, it was a great way to start off the trip…


SPOT #1 - Up River
SPOT #2 - Down River
The feast was great, and I was comatose after the first course…so it was football and couch after that. We then later made the trip over to moms with FINN. Jim and I reminisced over a fire, while Amy grabbed some old photo’s…more to come in a later post…

Finn before dinner...

Finn After Dinner...

Anyways, Jimmy and I set up an electric fence for my mother on Friday morning. Amy, Finn, and I later headed back to her mom’s and I shoved off to another CT stream with the father-in-law. After some hesitation to the urban location, I was amazed to see fish rising to some BWO.

Sure enough, as Gary threw rooster tails for browns, he was able to manage a nice large native and brought it to hand…

First Fish...
Considering this spring was my first introduction to dry fly fishing for trout, it was amazing to see fish rising to bugs in such cold weather. Needless to say, I did have two flies in the bag and within the first half hour I managed a nice little native rainbow on the dry…
Bastard wiggled his way onto the bench...swam off like a champ though...
As the sun faded, then rises stopped so I moved to a small stone and found one more participant. Again, another rainbow…

Couldn't help but notice the deformed gill plates...

After that, we met up with Amz and headed out for Appetizers and caught up on family…

Saturday morning brought me back to the same stretch of river…alone this time, and with a pair of waders…for some more exploration…

Despite some colder temps, and a cloudy sky, the fish began to rise again at about the 11AM hour. After some lame attempts with some different stones, I was finally about to coax another small ‘bow to take a hare’s ear…missed another on the same fly, and again missed another on the dry…Pictures:

Different stretch...

New water...

Artist Shot...

Another...

More Water...

TMA Water...

Last Fish of the trip...

Little Hare's Ear Anyone?!
Saturday was Holly Brunch at Amy’s Grandparents, and again, after stuffing my face…was off to the sweet pillows that surrounded my futon…

All and all it was a great weekend. Finn traveled like a champ, and I caught some fish…here’s a few more shots from a Page Thanksgiving Road Trip…

Best Part Of Turkey Day...LEFTOVER SANDWICH...

Finn traveled like a champ...

Overall a great weekend...

Next weekend will bring us back to the home waters...amazing going fom small native trout to big steelhead within a weeks time! Enjoy the leftovers!

No comments: